Tuesday 31 December 2013

Christmas hooky project....

I've been hankering after this crochet pattern for a while now....

The problem is its in a Japanese book, that's particularly hard to get hold of....and even if I did get hold of a copy I don't read Japanese....ordinary Japanese looks intimidating enough never mind crochet terminology....

Sooooo I've been trawling t'internet to see if I could find a translation...... or a REALLY simple "how to" diagram.... but its been really tricky ..though there are a lot of debates about copyright....

Meanwhile I have this bag of gorgeous wool calling to me...


I briefly considered an alternative motif....


I even made a quick sample....


But it simply didn't float my boat...those lovely round Japanese flowers were calling to me....saying they were the perfect Christmas project; simple to make, only need to count to 5 at a time; portable; only need a bag, a hook and 6 balls of wool.  
I was even more convinced when I joined the first one to a few friends....


In fact, considering it was supposed to be a holiday project I got on rather well....perhaps a little too enthusiastically....I'd started row 2 before we went away....


....although if you look carefully the consequences of my enthusiasm will be clear!


HINT: check the size of the gaps between the flowers ....some unpicking and re-hooking will be required....

Anyway I got on brilliantly and in no time there were two whole rows of flowers....


And I was starting on row three when disasters stuck.....


I've realised my maths has gone adrift (I really should use excel when I feel the need to) and its increasingly looking like I don't have enough yarn to get to the end of the project....


...Secondly I've got all carried away with over enthusiasm again and mucked up the joining together again....


and finally, these sort of things seem to come in threes don't they, I seem to have been doing so much crochet that I've given myself a touch of RSI in my wrist.  
I've got no strength in it in certain positions....I've already dumped a whole mug of scalding hot tea in my lap, and we all nearly came a cropper when I needed to do a hill start on the drive to the wool shop yesterday...who designed hand brakes to be so difficult to use one handed!!  
It quite simply, flippin' hurts.
And to cap it all the wool shop was closed.

Grump grump grumpity grump.

Thank heavens I can cheer myself up with curry buffett, champagne and an evening with great friends.  Come on 2014...we need you to improve things rapidly!


EDIT:  Aside from anything else I've got a plan for that alternative motif....it looked rather good in the wool it was supposed to be made in....and I've already spotted an opportunity to buy more in February...


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...