Wednesday 9 July 2014

Hampton Court Flower show 2014

An old boss of mine used to say, "there is no such thing as a bad day off"


And boy was he right about today.  I can't believe I've lived so close to Hampton Court (for 17 years for goodness sake!!) visited the palace and the formal gardens several times but NEVER EVER been to the flower show. But the opportunity presented itself to go with a show regular and her sisters and with such experienced guides who could refuse?

All I can say is that it was truly spectacular.  The colour and the fragrance was simply divine...

I'll stop wibbling and let my wholly inadequate photography show you....

There were Alliums galore...

 


There were ideas for insect friendly gardens large and small...

 

There were proper outdoor dining ideas....(where was 'im indoors when I needed him?)


Or you could go the whole outdoor living thing big style....(tree house anyone?)


Or maybe we should all just recycle more? (where can I find oil drums?)



There were nods to bee friendly gardening in many of the show gardens...

 






And some other (not so small) wildlife...


I simply LOVED "Hedgehog Street" By the hedgehog conservation society, full of tips to make gardens more hedgehog friendly I'll be trying to work some into our plot as soon as I can...



There was some incredibly colourful planting...



and some restful quiet corners...



As well as the frankly quite odd "inspirational gardens" based on he seven deadly sins...


I think I'd need a whole gardeners world programme to explain them to me!


There was the whacky...(jellybean anyone?)


or a quick swim in a lake of cranberries?


The floral tent was just a wonderland of fabulous specimens...
Hostas that no slug has ever breathed on...never mind nibbled....



Alpines that have never seen frost...


Gladiola to make Dame Edna drool...


and I could get drunk on the smell of all the lillies....


Sadly I'd run out of pennies to spend before I found these beauties... Asclepia often called Milkweed ...its very nectar rich so. It will be featuring at home at some stage next year...once I've got hold of some seeds...



I came home with bags full of bee friendly plants and the biggest smile on my face!


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful H, should get another bumper harvest next year with all the new plants you have given the girls to play with!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...