Sunday 9 November 2014

Mis-shapes

I've reached the end of a bit of a crochet-ing glut this weekend....

It all started with a perfectly timed visit to a charity shop in the village...someone had had a clear out of lots of odd sized balls of cream and green wool.  My purse £10 lighter they all came home with me!

Closer inspection showed that they were of two different weights, a light weight "baby" yarn and a much chunkier "worsted / aran" . So blanket number one was a simple baby blanket...


Blanket #2 was a bit more adventurous. 
It started with an experiment to see if I could dye cotton yarn in the same way I would dye fabric for quilting.  The answer was a resounding yes...but then what to do with the yarn?

I had previously spotted this fantasy blanket on t'internet and thankfully there was an English translation of the pattern.  It seemed the perfect opportunity to practice some stitches to create a colourful crochet sampler....

There were granny stripes....

 

There were zig-zags...

 

There were shells...

 

The were waves...

 

and there were popcorn bobbles, which with a green zig-zag below make a very simple but effective flower....

 

It all came together in a glorious colourful blanket of hookiness...


I even used the super -dooper variegated experiment to make the edge....



Except that, somewhere in my enthusiasm, I managed to add too many stitches at the top end....so it ended up not quite straight....


It will still keep someone warm but I clearly need to work on my counting!!

Blanket #3 came from chunky charity yarn...... 


I gained a perfectly timed donation from a friends mother (Thank-you Vicky!) who can no longer knit....


so it ended up rather bigger than the first one...


So the two square (ish) ones will be heading off to Romania in time for Christmas and the multi-coloured one will be heading off to project Linus UK, in the hope that someone is so enthralled by its colour that they don't notice its completely squiffy shape!!

1 comment:

  1. Love them all..... your colourful one is excellent - I think the extra stitched on the one corner are excellent for a little one to chew on!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...