Thursday 1 January 2015

Crochet-a-long part 4


So with all the ends sewn in the next question seemed to be how big is this blanket going to get?


I'm rather proud that its a healthy not quite 53 inches long in only a few weeks...(8 to be precise I started this on 23rd November - my how time flies!)


Every few evenings I was having a great deal of fun laying out the balls of yarn and plotting the colour sequence of the next few rows..

 

The more I did, the more I found myself swapping a few around from the original recommended sequence...


But then a new consideration came into play.  Would I have enough yarn after the main body of the blanket to be able to complete the edging without needing to buy more yarn?

I spent the next few evenings weighing the yarn at the beginning and end of each colour change and discovered that I was using 13 - 15g of yarn per colour change as opposed to Lucy's 11- 12g. I guess I'm just a little loose tension-ed (!!%&^*&!!!)


A quick survey of what the blanket looked like on a bed.... 

 

...nearly long enough to pull up and snuggle around chilly shoulders and a nice drape off the side to keep drafts out...

I was convinced  to carry on with my own (loose!) way of crocheting and hang the expense of buying a few more balls if needs be....

I took a rest over the holidays and then the second coldest night this year brought a heavy frost to the windows.  The early morning sun really made it look like every window had been coated with diamonds...

 



I decided to settle down and watch it all slowly thaw.... 


I ventured briefly outside (it was really astonishingly cold - surely colder than the -5'c the thermometer stated) to see what was going on.... 


 



I soon retreated back inside! (and  I love a frost!)

Amazingly about 40 minutes later the garden was coming into view.....


I was on a roll with the crochet!  My final seven colour changes were all lined up ready to go....


it would be such a shame to move and not finish the blanket this year! - aren't they lovely all lined up!


I had a lovely day,  busy fingers and the garden always changing every time I looked up to see the glimpse of sunshine moving slowly across...

 

 

And then the clouds came over and the temperature dropped VERY noticeably...


... and although I snuggled down under layers of squisshy yummy blanket for another few rows...


I was forced to retreat inside to complete that all important last stitch of 2014!


Just a few (!!) loose ends to darn in....


I know how I'll be starting the New Year!!
Hope you had a good one too and I hope we all find enough time in 2015 for all our craftydreams to come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...