Monday 24 December 2012

Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh vs. Mince pies and Gingerbread men...

For the first time in a very long time the calender fell into place for us to spend Christmas day away from home with the folks.
" Great" they said...."can you bring Mince pies....and gingerbread men" ( you do bake such really nice ginger bread men)
Well in for a penny, I thought, in for a pound...time for some cake too!

But lets start with the ginger bread...


I like making ginger bread...its a doddle.. just bung all the ingredients in a big bowl... stir like mad till it all comes together in a big lump of dough...

 

let it rest a over night in the fridge, roll it out , cut to the traditional shape - or any shape you fancy, decorate and bake...



Now onto the mince pies... well there's no secrets there.  Its pastry and mince meat put together in the traditional manner...

 

Well ...no secrets unless you count the home made mince meat.  This is the last jar from last year's batch. It might be a while before I get to make this again as we don't have an apple tree at the moment.  Planting fruit trees is one of the first things on next year's gardening to do list.

Finally I had a new toy to try out.  I L-O-V-E it that my toys arrive before Christmas! - can you tell what it is?

I decided that the best thing to try in it would be my trusty honey cake recipe... with some added sparkle for the season, a pinch of edible glitter in the honey lemon glaze...

 

 
..and you get fabulous sweet glittery Christmasy houses.  And for those family members who prefer their cakes chocolatey...well...

 
 




I could make pretty patterns in cake mixture all day!
But there are chocolate houses to make and bowls to be licked clean...

 

Right I'm done now, and done in as well.  time to sit down with a cuppa and one of those gingerbread men. Come on Santa time, time to come and do your thing.. We're ready now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...